Go Back   Mountain Buzz > Whitewater Boating > Whitewater Kayaking

Old 07-21-2005   #1
Denver, Colorado
9 days of paddling in the fall, which would you choose?

If you only had 9 days to paddle which would you choose? Looking for class IV/V- during the fall. Fun town a bonus. Which country and town would you stay in?

Costa Rica - Turrialba
Ecuador - Tena
Mexico - Oaxaca, Veracruz
Honduras - ?
Chile - ?

paulh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2005   #2
I am pretty sure the Chilean season is in our winter i.e December - April; I think things are just too damn big in the fall. cantact Nathan@kayakchile.net to check for sure.

what about heading to the Southeast for southern fried creeking? Gauley?

Sounds fun.

will rawstron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2005   #3
Summit, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1996
Send a message via AIM to COUNT
Costa Rica
COUNT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2005   #4
october in costa rica is the peak of the rainy season right. Tough to get around. roads may be washed out.
onebakedpotato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2005   #5
Golden, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1984
November is a good target for Mexico (Santa Maria area). If you're driving for CO, that gives you six days of paddling in that area. Split among a group of paddlers, I've never spent more that $500 for gas/food/lodging on a Mexico trip. Bring your own posse, because the paddling there is mostly self-contained although you'll run into more paddlers the closer you get to the holidays. The runs there include the Salto, Santa Maria, Ojo Frio, Micos, the sections of the Verde (bring your climbing gear). You can drive to Veracruz, but it's an additional days' drive there and back from Valles. There are some great runs down there, tho- check out the Upper Filo and the Alseseca.

As for Costa- more expensive (flight, shuttles, lodging) but you'll find lots of boaters and boatable flows that time of year, especially around Turrialba and to a lesser extent Arenal & the Sarapiqui.

Fall boating in the tropics is fully addictive, though- I missed it last year and nearly went batshit over the winter.
El Flaco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2005   #6
Welcome to Beautiful Uganda. My brother went there last fall and said it was awesome. If you like that big water thing on the Nile.
friend of the fork, knife, and spoon
peterB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2005   #7
Yo Paul, what's up? When are you heading south? A group of us are heading to Ecuador in mid-October around the world whitewater rafting championships. Both U.S. mens and womens teams are from Vail. Solid paddlers and plenty of logistical support for shuttles and the like. I'm thinking at least 2 weeks there, possibly doing a week in Honduras on the way down.

Good friend of mine, Paul St. Ruth, lives on the island of Roatan, Honduras and offers ocean-front lodging at a place called Marble Hill Farms if you're interested (email: paulstruth@hotmail.com). It's about 2 hours by ferry to the Rio Congreal, super-fun any time, and I expect even better during October rains. Several other nearby rios available with support from Struth, and great diving and partying on the island if you're into that sort of thing.

I've done Turialba, and it's pretty cool I suppose, but definitely more expensive, somewhat logistically taxing and really not such stellar ambiance. The rivers aren't that close to town, but there are rafting companies that will take you. A better option is Boquete, Panama. Check in with John Miller through NOC (email: millerotis@charter.net) and he will style you out with lodging, shuttles, guide service and anything else you might need. If the water's on (which is should be most of October, especially late), he's got about 30 quality runs dialed within 2 hours of town and a driver to take you there. Town is sleepy, but nicer than most anything in Costa. Roads and access are awesome, beer and food are cheap and they take U.S. greenbacks. I'm kind of torn between heading back there or doing the Honduras thing again.

Either way, let me know if you want to coordinate something. I'm planning on three weeks down that way in October.

willoughby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2005   #8
ski/kayak bum
scott- you might possibly have the best job ever......I'm jealous

double-a-ron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2005   #9
Thanks. If you makes you feel any better, I've had plenty of worse ones.
willoughby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2005   #10
ski/kayak bum
would you please email me? I would like to ask you a few questions about your career. gonehuckin@yahoo.com

double-a-ron is offline   Reply With Quote