Old 12-18-2011   #11
Horserump, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1975
Hey if you have enough current time butt time in a boat you'll adapt to what ever you get in and figure it out. When you get down there climb into the different boats and see what feels right.

yak1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2011   #12
The Bitterroot, Montana
Originally Posted by TonyM View Post
Mamba 7.5 or diesel 65

montuckyhuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2011   #13
Boulder, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2003
Originally Posted by TonyM View Post
Mamba 7.5 or diesel 65
KSC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2011   #14
bc, CA
Paddling Since: 2007
funny photo's

Thanks for all the good advice!
I found these funny photo's of my 3rd ever river run. The pic is of the entrance gets even bigger as you get into the middle of the canyon. I could barely pull in and out of eddies without getting flipped. This is the Adams River in BC. The canyon (as seen in the picture is 3+) however I think it was only a 3- when I did it because it was late in the season. I was paddling the LL Trigger and never got flipped in the canyon (this day I fully understood the what scared spitless meant) my tongue was stuck to the roof of my mouth.
I love the idea of sitting in all the boats and choosing as suggested but unfortunately they want everyone to pick before we get there before all the good ones are taken (or I might get stuck with an old school RPM)or something like that.
I guess that's why I was thinking LL Trigger because if I could run that when I was a newbie perhaps I could do class 4 now in it.
Sorry...I think I'm rambling...I guess you can tell I'm getting nervous!!!

Anyone out there still (or have) paddled this series? I guess Lil'Joe and Hoss are just the bigger version of that model.

brenda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2011   #15
White R. BC
Durango, Colorado
Diesel 65, my wife is shorter than you and has one and loves it. I love my 60. Same hull just with more peak in the deck which gives it slightly more vol but they say it has less? The low cockpit rim is good for setup for those with short torso. Planing hull = good primary stability and you will be more used to it. V forgiving but still a little playful. Try it first! Have fun.

ps. you may end up selling your L Hero to get one tho!
ag3dw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2012   #16
bc, CA
Paddling Since: 2007
Dagger Nomad 8.1

I am back from my Costa Rica was amazing. After all the worry about what boat i might end up in, I actually ended up paddling a boat that wasn't even on the list, Nomad 8.1. We paddled the Sarapiqui, 3 sections of the Pacuare, and 2 sections of the Pejibaye. I paddled my first ever class 4 rivers so here is the problem now. I am loving the harder, technical class 4 water (who would have thought at my age) so here is the problem...Is my Jackson Little Hero is going to be too small for me now in big water. The maximum weight range is 135 and I am 128, so should I be upgrading to a bigger (creeker???) boat. Suggestions?
brenda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2012   #17
Bozeman, Montana
Paddling Since: 1999
Yes Mamm more volume is the answer.. Look around and test some boats out I suggest remix series for what you are getting into. Make them in 47 59 69 79 gallon models so I'm sure one of those will work just fine. More volume keeps you higher on top so less of that non sense messes you up.

caspermike is offline   Reply With Quote