Old 11-16-2010   #1
Lakewood, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2009
60 degrees

Denver Area in the 60's Thursday and Friday(maybe) has anyone been to the Golden playpark at this water level 60ish? I was there a couple weeks ago when it was 80 and it was rather low. Most likely be walking feature to feature but is it high enough to simply get a little surf time in before the real snow falls? Same question goes for the Lyons playpark I have never even been up there seems like a spring trip idea. Thanks for the input I'm not ready for 4-5 months of pool time yet.

rodgers712 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2010   #2
Littleton, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2010
It's not worth surfing at that level, in my opinion. I could run the whole park with minimal scraping, in a 60-gal River-running playboat, but I could not surf.
The most you'll get out of it, is better combat practice than a pool. I basically got my combat roll at Golden with low water. If you're bracing on the pour-over though, you'll definitely hit rock with your paddle. I would recommend messing around in Waterton over that anyway. If you lap Waterton, it's not really as long of a hike for each lap. Something like the first half a mile is flatwater.

I'm not an expert surfer, but I know I can hold a surf on other waves much better. Like the Glenwood playwave at 2200. If Shoshone is running, chances are, a decent river-right play wave in Glenwood is also running (which you can check separately). In my limited experience, that was the best surfing I've had this season, and I drove through snow to get there, and the second half of my wave fun was in the rain. There's nothing quite like it.

I would recommend hitting up the runs that are still running. Waterton and Shoshone, mainly, with the occasional random blessing like Big Thompson. Below the dam on the Big Thompson is a lot of Class 3, to 3+, at this level (400). It will turn into class IV though, so if you are wanting to avoid that, you'll have to know when to pull out.

My first season has been pretty productive, and I think I've gotten to the point where I don't like bothering with playparks unless their at medium levels or better. I'd rather do a nice III-IV run than mess around with low-water waves. Don't get me wrong, I'll make the most of my run if we're not trying to gun down it.

Just my .02. Take it with a grain of salt. My brace and roll is bomber, but paddling and all-around river-skill is lacking.

Kendrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2010   #3
Where ever the water is...., Colorado
Paddling Since: 1996
Send a message via AIM to peterholcombe
The Library Hole can put a mid November smile on my face! It can also make you dizzy from spinning so much in the small friendly hole. I'd say give it a go and see for yourself.

If you have more time than Waterton is a great option if not Shoshone or other off season options.
peterholcombe is offline   Reply With Quote