Old 04-22-2008   #1
Send a message via MSN to Jiberish
5th street wave GJ colorado?

Looking for beta on it. Not sure when it runs, but its close and I can hit it up in between classes

Jiberish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2008   #2
Austin, Tejas
Paddling Since: 2004
5th st.

5th street only runs when the Colorado is significantly higher than the Gunnison. It usually runs in the late spring, but given the high snowpack, the Gunnison might not come down enough to create the wave for a while. Keep an eye out for the silo hole though.

CLIMACVS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2008   #3
GWS, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1992
Someone told me that they surfed the palisades fish ladder on Sunday and it was EPIC. He also said that he was told they were stopping the diversion this week so it could go away.

He said it is very worth the time right now.
Mut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2008   #4
carbondale, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1991
Junc Wave

At about 18,000+ take a right on Power road and drive to where the levee is eroding, behind the ostrich farm. That is the Junc Wave, it was fantastic at about 23,000 a couple of years ago. Take a picture of it for me. I never saw 5th street that great, kinda old school.
SuperCritical is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2008   #5
Send a message via MSN to Jiberish
I was at the Fishladder wave/hole yesterday. Definetly retentive. I only had time for a few rides, but you could spine, right blunt, left blut, and probably helix, and loop.... haha.... I wish they would just leave it there! The eddy service is a little tricky though! I might head back down this week when I get a little more time to get it dialed. Just mind the construction workers, as they were nice yesterday and left us a lone...Just in general be respectful ya know~
Jiberish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2008   #6
Denver via GJ, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2003
As others have mentioned 5th street waves (theres more than one) change almost daily base on the Gunnison, but between 7.5k to 10k on this gage there is almost always something to surf.

The first, front, up river wave, or whatever you want to call it is usually the best for play, but as flows change some other moderate waves come in that are surfable.

My rule of thumb (so far) is to watch for this gauge to hit over 7,500 CFS (Could come in a bit sooner or later). The Junc(?, fitting though) wave comes in at about 10K, you will know it is up when 5th street washes out due to high water.

"I plan to leisurely advance through my existence" - Terry Fuhrman 1991
-k- is offline   Reply With Quote