Old 09-08-2008   #1
4fun for superfun?

i know this might be more appopriate in the swap, but i bought a 4fun last week, and feel like i might need the next size up. havent even had it on the water yet, but at about 210 pounds and as a boater more into river running than play, i think the superfun would be a better fit.

is there anyone out there who has a superfun that they feel is too big and wants to move DOWN a size? red color, happy feet and seat.

bth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2008   #2
NOCO, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1990
Is your 4Fun the new (07) model or the classic? Are you looking to swap for a new model SuperFun (07) or a classic? The new 4Fun is almost the same volume size as the classic SuperFun. The new SuperFun at 70 gallons is HUGE vs. the new 4Fun at 61.75 gallons, vs the Classic SuperFun at 63 gallons.

Assuming you can't or don't want to return it to the original shop to swap, might want to check w/ local shops - they MIGHT be nice enough to swap you out.

FatmanZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2008   #3
its a classic.
thanks- i should have remembered to note that...
bth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2008   #4
Boulder, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1995
I think you are right, without even putting it in the water. I'm 208 lbs. and have paddled all four boats. The older 4 was definitely too low volume for good river running for me.

The older super seemed right on for buoyancy. the new super is huge. The new 4 is still a little low for river running at my weight. If I lean forward the bow subs out as I try to ferry. I feel like I need the new 4.5, but they already make it in 6 sizes, so I bet that one is not getting added to the line anytime soon.

(seven two 0)-298-2242
Dave Frank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2008   #5
NOCO, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1990

I think the classic SuperFun would do you well. Depending on how tall you are, the new SuperFun would likely dwarf you.

I tip the scales at 250 lbs on a good day without gear, 6'4". Last year I upgraded from the Classic SuperFun to the new SuperFun. The new SuperFun feels still feels HUGE to me - I've got so much room in there - but it's a great river runner/playboat at my weight.
FatmanZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2008   #6
Portland, Oregon
Paddling Since: 2006
I'd go with the SuperFun for River Running

I tip the scales at 210 and 6ft... paddled the 2007 4Fun for a year and, while a great boat at my size for playboating, it was a little small for river running (my opinion). I moved up to the 2008 SuperFun in February and think, for my size, it is far better at all around river running. Granted, it is not great for playboaing for someone my size, it still surfs really well and can handle pretty much anything that you would find in between play spots.
Growing old is mandatory... growing up is optional
spartankayaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2008   #7
Teacher, Fort Collins, Colorado
4 fun

I'm 6'3", 215 without gear, and paddled the 2007 4 fun all season and loved it. I'm not sure why you would want a bigger boat honestly--at my size, I still paddled the big water (Numbers at 3000+, Browns at 3600 or so) and it was great. I didn't find ferrying to be an issue--just center your weight back a hair when on your edge and your bow doesn't pearl (I also have the seat almost all the way forward in the boat).

Plus, the 4 fun plays very well for my size--could loop huge, cartwheel, etc. no problems, although it of course has a little more "sluggish" feel in the hole compared to my superstar.

A great all around boat for someone my size--fantastic downriver and play.

Buckrodgers is offline   Reply With Quote