Old 01-13-2005   #11
We ran miller creek last year for the first time and it was a mank fest that would even give a front ranger a big chubby. 500+ feet per mile with about 60 cfs. The bedrock is pretty sweet though, lots of waterfalls and waterslides, but the thing needs to be at full flood stage to be good. It's Steve's baby, he found it and cleaned it all out, and it will probably pay off this spring.

waynechorter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2005   #12
Come on its not that Mank, but it will clean up with all this snow. I was up last week hiking it. It needs some work. I also found a less treacherous hike in from the rim upstream.
I will post a write up with pics soon on
Gary, there is a drop with your name on it. It is called 5 dollar falls. First one to run it gets the 5 dollar bill I found snow shoeing up there last year. I might even frame it.

sward is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2005   #13
Ok the run is beautiful bedrock, the issue was that it never had more than 60 cfs in it. The fact that it's a roadside run and you were the only person to run it more than once = manky. I'm with you though, 150 cfs and that thing'll be sweet.
Old 01-13-2005   #14
Het Jared and Steve, is Miller Creek the one I ran with you guys??? It was a fisty Steve found and we did it with a quick hike in around dusk...?? You take out just above a culvert?
Meng is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2005   #15
That's the mank... It'll be respectable this year. I'll be heading up in a month or so (under about 4' of new snow) to do a little maintenance. And JJ the flow was at least 80.

With more h2o everything will go including the falls below the culvert. The county did some work around the culvert moving some rocks and the landing is better looking.

sward is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2005   #16
Jackson, Wyoming
Paddling Since: 94
Send a message via Yahoo to Gary E
JJ is not one too talk about low flows...He is the king and got very lucky one time...
Gary E is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2005   #17
River Gypsy
Swannanoa, North Carolina
Paddling Since: 1986
which miller creek are you guys on about?

somebody email me if you don't want to post here. bedrock mank and low water are three of my favorite things.

i hope all the snow holds - i'm getting fired up to spend the summer in CO already. now if i can just get that piece of sh!t van running....

Leland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2005   #18
Low water Leland, You would love this thing. It sort of resembles the trethagay. I think I had more blood on me when I came out of the threth but there was no shortage on this run either.