2016 Rockstar - Mountain Buzz

Old 08-09-2016   #1

Louisville, Kentucky
Paddling Since: 2005
2016 Rockstar

Hey all,

Just doing my due diligence in researching everything before buying a new boat so I thought I'd ask the community for their opinions.

After demoing a 2016 Rockstar M at our local playspot, I'm pretty sold on the design and outfitting of the boat but wanted to ask what people thought who paddle the large in particular. I'm 5'10", 185 with gear with a 32 inseam so of course I'm in between boats. I fit snuggly in the medium but have read multiple reviews saying that people my size can upsize to the large no problem, improve downriver performance a bit and still be able to throw it around (albeit with the extra volume so it's tougher). I've had playboats in the past where I just sink in the river due to my weight so really would like to have one where I can be worry free about that.

Obviously it's all preference but just wanted to get people's thoughts and see what their thought process was when deciding.

Appreciate it!

Edit* -

If you paddle the Medium feel free to chime in too with your experience as well.

Centre_Paddler is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-09-2016   #2

Albuquerque, New Mexico
Paddling Since: 2011
Where do you plan to take it ?
I'm 195 6' 34 inseam and I paddle a 2012 Allstar (think of it as Rockstar Medium +2 inches)
Its full to the brim with me. No room for foot foam.
The no foot foam makes it much harder to work vertical moves on the bow.
But it is fun in the play park. However, if the flows are up on our daily, its chunder magnet.

I would buy 2 used playboats over a new one for that reason alone.
Or even the medium + a downriver boat.
desertSherpa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2016   #3

Louisville, Kentucky
Paddling Since: 2005
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertSherpa View Post
Where do you plan to take it ?
I'm 195 6' 34 inseam and I paddle a 2012 Allstar (think of it as Rockstar Medium +2 inches)
Its full to the brim with me. No room for foot foam.
The no foot foam makes it much harder to work vertical moves on the bow.
But it is fun in the play park. However, if the flows are up on our daily, its chunder magnet.

I would buy 2 used playboats over a new one for that reason alone.
Or even the medium + a downriver boat.
Thanks for the reply and your sizing for a comparison. And yeah I feel ya about foam. I had an old Pyranha SX6 that gave me the same problem. I've got a creek boat for more technical stuff but, being where I live, a lot of the play spots require you to go downriver a bit (II-III stuff) so I didn't know if the extra volume to get down that stuff was worth it in the long run.
Centre_Paddler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2016   #4

Boise, Idaho
I'd say it's better to be in a smaller boat if you want to throw it around more, initiate the bow and stern, cartwheel, etc., while it's better to be in a bigger boat if you want to run rivers and get more pop in aerial tricks.
Anchorless is offline   Reply With Quote