Old 06-24-2013   #11
Denver, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2004
They do a duck race in the town of bailey during the bailey days event. I guess they haven't figured out that they are littering in the river and should catch those ducks. When you find them, put them in your boat and see who can collect the most. Sometimes they are in fun eddies and make you work for them.

By the way... One time I saw a real baby duckling swim supermax at 600+!

deepsouthpaddler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2013   #12
Buena Vista, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2005
Originally Posted by deepsouthpaddler View Post
Even with April's good snow, Cheeseman reservoir will likely not fill this year, which means Denver Water is releasing the bare minimimum out of cheesemen reservoir. They just went up to 70 cfs from 40 cfs, which is a very low flow there. The fisherman are pissed as its tough for he fish at that low of flow.
Do you know if Denver Water has any plans to send water down to Cheeseman from Elevenmile anytime soon? Inflow has been significantly higher than outflow for a month or more, and according to State Parks and Wildlife "the reservoir was 102% full as of June 17th." Thanks.

Conditions at Eleven Mile | Colorado Parks and Wildlife

GARNA’s mission is to foster stewardship of the resources of the greater Arkansas River region through education, volunteerism and experiences.
lmyers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2013   #13
Denver, Colorado
6/25 update...

Denver Water is keeping the tunnel at 275ish for right now. They are having a meeting later today to look at demand, waterflows etc. There are two small fires near strontia springs reservoir that could potentially impact DW's operations, but they didn't know what that impact might be.

Lmeyers, I spoke with Denver Water about elevenmile. Short answer, they don't expect flows to bump up there... expect it to stay fairly steady and low.

Denver Water uses elevenmile as a drought reservoir. Its deep and narrow and has a relatively low evaporation rate, so they want to keep the water in that reservoir until they need it. If they think they can meet metro needs with the water in cheeseman downstream, they won't pull any water out of elevenmile. If cheeseman and dillon don't have enough water to meet metro needs, then they might start pulling water out of elevenmile.

Whats coming out of elevenmile right now is primarily Aurora waters water from spinney passing through elevemile and cheeseman and into strontia springs where Aurora picks up the water with a pipeline. Right now Aurora water demand is the primary driver of flows out of elevenmile, and that is expected to be relatively constant.

I think the big flows from elevenmile that boaters like happen in two scenarios: 1) big water year, and inflow is huge and they have to bypass flows they can't store (rare), and 2) really bad drought year when they need to drain upper reservoirs or use significant storage (rare as well). So, no good news for the elevenmile boaters. Good news is that the north fork is at good levels now.
Old 06-25-2013   #14
Ian, thanks for all the updates/detailed info. Diversion/dams in this state are fascinating. What's your connection to DW/how do you get access to that info? I'd just be interested to learn more about how it all works.
spthomson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2013   #15
Denver, Colorado
SPT... My connection to Denver Water is simply relaying information from Denver Water to the paddling community. Before I did this there were other folks who did the same. Denver Water knows that paddlers want info on water operations to plan their paddling, so they agreed to have an informal mountainbuzz representative call up and get the scoop and relay to the buzz.

Once I got my foot in the door doing the water information relay... I negotiated a planned release for Bailey Fest, so now the relationship is a little different that just information exchange.
Old 06-25-2013   #16
And the Blue?

See if you can get them to send some of that down the Blue, pretty dry up there
zercon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2013   #17
Denver, Colorado
Sorry Z. The blue is a whole different story.
Old 06-25-2013   #18
Yea I know the whole story. Nice to see someone is enjoying the water. I have long hated that tunnel so it is good to see the water gives boaters some fun before getting pissed on lawns in Denver . Maybe silverthorne boaters should try to get Denver water to crank up the blue at least once a year. silverthorne fest ?
zercon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2013   #19
Durango, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1996
Z- there is this run called gore canyon near you that is closer than Bailey, runs more often than Bailey, and is better than Bailey. You should check it out. It will make you feel better about living in summit county. Also, there is this guy named brian who will paddle it with you every day. At first it will seem weird, then it will get more normal. You are welcome.
jmack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2013   #20
Summit County, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1993
"Silverthorne Blue River Fest!" Yep, I had that same idea when Denver Water released a good flow on the Blue over a Labor Day weekend about 8 or 9 years ago. Unfortunately, the releases are so unpredictable and differ from year to year preventing any regular plan for a boating fest.

Colorado Photography:
tommycolorado is offline   Reply With Quote