Old 05-26-2011   #1
Denver, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2004
2011 Bailey Fest: Mark you calendar!

I'm currently in the planning stages for 2011 Bailey Fest. Tenative dates are August 13/14, 2nd weekend in August. Denver Water is working on official release approval and announcement, which will come later this season. For now, mark the calendars!

Bailey Fest was a great time last year... Probably over 100 boaters between bailey and foxton. Big takeout party BBQ at pine valley ranch where 100 burgers and a keg were demolished with lightning speed.

This year's event will follow the same theme... Paddle the river saturday, BBQ party at the bailey takeout mid afternoon saturday, camp out saturday night, and paddle on sunday.

This year I've set up a deal with a private land owner along the north fork south platte to let us camp on his land. Its a great camping spot right on the river along the mellow water about a mile upstream from 4 falls. I also worked out a deal with the Jeffco openspace folks that run pine valley ranch park at the bailey takeout to let us park cars there overnight (normally prohibited) saturday so campers don't have to run shuttle sunday morning. We can just put on from camp sunday morning.

Campers will have to pay a $5 fee to cover ACA event insurance. Part of the deal with the landowner is that I had to get insurance. $5 per person is a small price to pay for a great camp site on private land on the north fork.

Looking forward to another fun event.

Big Thanks to the event sponsors: American Whitewater, Jackson Kayaks, Confluence Kayak Shop, and Oskar Blues Brewery.

deepsouthpaddler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2011   #2
Indian Hills, Colorado
Pure awesome! Thanks for being such a steward of the sport!

DanOrion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2011   #3
Everyone needs a vacation
Fairfield, California
Paddling Since: 1998
"Turn on the Tunnel!" CN

Great work Ian!!! I can't wait, last year was a blast. I love Bailey.

Thank you!
BDPADDLE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2011   #4
Front Range Swim Team
FRST, Colorado
Ian, you're the man. Thanks for setting this up again!

cmack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2011   #5
now this sounds like a paddling event I could attend. I love the fact that there is not a competition. just boaters going boating.

N. Wigston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2011   #6
Louisville, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1996
Ian, this sounds awesome, can't wait!

Is there any vehicle access into the landowner's property? Not for us kayakers per se, but as cost for camping is still amazingly low, it might be advisable to a) get a porta pottie or two delivered, & b) maybe a one time, one "group vehicle" in/out shuttle for camping gear, any other group amenities we may want for the night.

just thoughts, & probably one's you're already considering.

just hope i'm not in the middle east for a job then, how awesome to being camping along bailey!

~Get all the sleep I need when I'm dead.
Hans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2011   #7
Gonna be so good! Nice work Ian! Last was incredible. Only time you'll see 15-20 different lines on Super Max in the same day by different boaters.
BKC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2011   #8
Denver, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2004
Overview of camping spot on google maps

Closeup of camping spot on google maps

Hans, we will have car access to the camping spot. You can drive your car right up to the river. There will be a combo lock on the gate, and I will give campers the combo. It looks like the landowner is building a bridge that will allow 2WD access to the spot. If something happens to bridge construction, we still have a 4WD access road. Landowner is building the bridge to better access his property.

I will have bathroom facilities set up. Last year I had a river groover setup. I may do the porta potty depending on budget.

We can leave up to 20 shuttle vehicles at the pine valley ranch park on sat night to facilitate shuttle. Not sure if I will try to do a big shuttle rig this year. It costs a bunch to get a bus etc, and since most groups will bring a car to the event, we should have plenty of vehicles for shuttle.
deepsouthpaddler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2011   #9
Colorado Springs, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2006

ChasetheWater is offline   Reply With Quote

ark, bailey