Old 12-02-2010   #1
Portland, Oregon
Paddling Since: 2003
2010 Superstar @ 181lbs?

I've paddle the Biscuit and Allstar and find them small and not very versatile. At 181 lbs, I'm demoing a 2010 Superstar tomorrow. Being at the low end of the weight range I'm guessing it will be hard to throw down and feel corky. Anyone out there in this weight range paddling a 2010 Superstar? How have your skills grown into the boat? Pros? Cons? I've been in a 2010 4-Fun and didn't like it but haven't tried the fun yet.

greendancerpdx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2010   #2
Wheat Ridge, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2001
I'm 180 and tried out the allstar and superstar and ended up going with the allstar... at least for me, the superstar felt like too much boat.

jerbsen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2010   #3
Boulder, Jackson Kayak, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1995
Send a message via Skype™ to thecraw
Green dancer...

I am 195-205 and 6 feet. I paddle a super star 100%, and I work for the company, meaning I can paddle whatever I want too. that said, I am a terrible free style paddler, and in turn, I think i may be the best front surfer out there! So it's not super important for me to be able to toss huge aerial moves that require the smallest kayak you could stand. I took it down the Grand this year for 15 days and it was beyond perfect.
You are kind of a tweener, but the boats overlap nicely. Consider the Super, but if you feel it's too big, you should be able to fit just nicely in the All star as well.
"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body. But rather...To skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming... WOW !!!! What a ride!!!!!!"
thecraw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2010   #4
4CRS, Durango, Colorado
Love it

I am 185# and love the SuperStar, more volume = more pop. Its a little more corky feeling when it comes to cartwheels but the comfort of the bigger boat combined with the extra pop more than makes up for it in my opinion. T
TonyM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2010   #5
Powell, Wyoming
I am 6'3" and 185 and have the superstar. It is pretty much as you stated, due to being on the lower end of the weight range it is a little hard to throw down. It is still pretty well balanced, depending on your height this will vary on how corky it feels as the stern is very slicy still. If you are shorter than me you will be able to move up further in the boat and this will help substantially with this problem. The nice part about this boat and being on the lower end of the weight range is it flies out of the water, super big air on loops and what not. I have also ran it in creek and big water class 4 and it is performed well.
surfwyoming is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2010   #6
Nampa, Idaho
Paddling Since: 1995
Last year at the beginning of the season I purchased a Biscuit as I anticipated it being a great design but I was disappointed. Two months later I got myself the 2010 All-Star. I found the All-Star superior in nearly every aspect.

On the other hand of TonyM, I am also 185 lbs (6'1" in height) and I chose to paddle the All-Star. I'm pretty tight in the boat, but can stand it due to the comfortable outfitting. I sometimes paddle my father's SuperStar, and while I'm able to handle it's larger size, it all seems easier with the All-Star.

More volume in a playboat means the ability to run slightly more difficult whitewater downriver, bigger air in general, and perhaps more comfortable. Less volume in a playboat means that any move you are trying to initiate will probably be noticeably easier. I tend to use my playboat at park and play locations to work on my moves (and have a creekboat for most of what I paddle downriver,) and that is why I have chosen the smaller of the two sizes.
Favre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2010   #7
Glenwood Springs, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2004
I paddle the 2010 Superstar and am about 195 in season. I know thats alittle ways away from 181. As far as progress, after the first week in the boat I would say that, if anything, I would like even more volume. I was very worried about doing cartwheel type moves but it turned out fine, very easy to transition. I struggled heavily in the Biscuit 65, but found the Superstar perfect. I was able to progress well past my goals this season. I have a friend in the same weigh situation and he is getting a superstar on my advice.

One note, if you try the allstar try it with an overthruster or beach ball. It makes a bigger difference than I would have ever guessed. Should help give the pop you need for vertical moves without sacrificing sliceyness and help bridge the gap between sizes.
eklars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2010   #8
Portland, Oregon
Paddling Since: 2003

Thanks for the replies. Not a lot of park and play around Portland, so I went up to a Superstar. I'm very happy with how easy it throws around, flat-water or hole, and it's been a good river-runner. I like it a lot better than the Biscuit 55 I traded for it. Looking forward to the rain this week so I can get it on a higher quality wave.

greendancerpdx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2010   #9
Steamboat Springs, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1996
I'm only about 175lbs, and I love my Superstar. No problems throwing it around and it loops so easy for me. Enjoy it!

mhelm is offline   Reply With Quote