Old 11-13-2009   #11
Eastern Slope, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1980

I'd recommend the Legacy Wagon for class V.

Randaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2009   #12
Eastern Slope, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1980

I'd recommend the Legacy Wagon for class V.

Randaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2009   #13
Boozebay Harbor, Maine
Originally Posted by Phillips View Post
I don't understand your rational about buying only new cars. That is totally hogwash. Your logic suggests that all used cars are lemons. . .
It's not new cars in general (I'm guessing), it's just only buying new Subarus.

The logic that most people have is that the only new-ish used Subarus are going to be lemons because Subaru people don't upgrade to a newer fancier car until they somehow manage to destroy it, unlike the general populus seems to do. Therefore the Subaru's for sale are either incredibly old beaters, or newer lemons.

It's not completely true, but the most common Subaru's for sale are the 97-99 (I think those are the years) Outbacks that constantly blow their head gaskets. There are some older cars on lots, and rarely a newer one, but the used market seems to be ridiculously dominated by that problem engine.
fenris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2009   #14
Northfield, Massachusetts
Thanks, Fenris, you are partly correct. Hey Phillips! My "rationale" is that I use my car as my office 3-4 days weekly and on two of those days I travel to the inner city where, if I break down day or night, I could be in big trouble. Being female, it's a fact of life. So, buying new gives me some hope that the likelihood of making it home unscathed is good.

I appreciate all the info all of you have provided so far.
k1c1w is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2009   #15
Fred Gnarquist
carbondale, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2004
I have a 2004 subaru forester and i LOVE it, IMO its the perfect kayaker rig if you still want a small car that gets good mileage.
fred norquist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2009   #16
moab, Utah
Paddling Since: 08
make that 2 votes for the old cr-v. mine is a 2000 and ive never had an issue with it... not to sound braggy, but i can strap a 14' self bailer/frame/oars to the top of it, put a ton of river gear- whiskey stinky boatmen and dogs-in the back with the seats down (which is also my summer vacation home), drive over AWD terrain...and still make it to the river!

randaddy- where is that picture from?!! didnt that happen on the upper ark? i remember someone telling me about that and i am pretty sure i heard about it 2 summers ago. but i work downstream... please let me know i am dying to hear about it!

just because it's diet don't mean it's good for you!
junkshowriverchick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2009   #17
Broomfield, Colorado
The 2010 Forester has a lot more headroom and legroom than the previous years, much more spacious inside.
bill-y is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2009   #18
Park City, Utah
Paddling Since: 2001
Originally Posted by k1c1w View Post
Well, they've gone and ruined the Outback as one of the cars of choice for kayakers (lots of threads on various sites about this). The new design of the racks prohibit carrying any more than two kayaks and aftermarket racks such as Thule and Yakima, although they can be used, can only have a spread of the crossbars of about 21 inches. If you need to carry longer boats such as seakayaks or even mountain bikes, as well as your whitewater boats, you know you need more than a 21 inch spread between the crossbars. I am in need of buying a new car relatively soon and was going to get an Outback, but now have to rethink this. Anyone out there have any opinions on the 2010 Forester? I've never had an SUV. Carrying multiple boats, such as creekboats, riverrunners, openboats or seakayaks can necessitate carrying them on their side. Can this contribute to the vehicle being more susceptible to rollover? I would also even be concerned about stacking shorter boats for the same reason. Any thoughts or any suggestions for another vehicle? I am only interested in a new vehicle so I would not consider a used Outback. Don't want someone else's lemon. Thanks.
I just bought a 2010 Outback, and I would like to know why it isn't a good kayak vehicle. Just because of the roof rack? My 4Runner will still be the primary water vehicle, but the Outback will be used for longer trips. I have had to use a 2009 Outback the last couple of weeks, and the 10 is way nicer. Much larger, and with the CVT tranny it even gets better mileage than an 09 manual. Still seems with enough ratchet and NRS straps, that I could get four kayaks on the roof.
BullSCit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2009   #19
pnw, Washington
If you want something reliable thats in this category, get the Honda Fit. Hondas are crazy reliable and my subaru wasnt.

"Yesterday I was clever and tried to change the world. Today I am wise and try to change myself." -Rumi
gh is offline   Reply With Quote