Old 02-27-2006   #1
2006 Teva Mountain Games

I was thinking about participating in this year's Mountain Games (May31-June 4) . Any thoughts about this event? Anyone compete in this event last year and have any advice? Any help is greatly appreciated!

thrillsekr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2006   #2
Englewood, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1978
Maybe I'm mistaken, but after looking at the website, it doesn't appear that they have any category except the one the pros are also entering. I was thinking about entering a couple events, but paying $40 to get creamed by Shipley in the Chute race doesn't sound like the best deal.

Join up, suckas.

"People demand freedom of speech to make up for the freedom of thought which they avoid."
- Soren Kierkegaard
Caspian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2006   #3
Local, Colorado
Send a message via AIM to paddlebizzle
Caspian - there are definitely amateur races for both the guys and gals before the pros race. Ironically, the crowds are big for both since people want to see their friends throw down just as much as they want to see the pros.

You can call Untraditional Marketing or just wait for them to update their site, but plan on competing in the rodeo, chute race, and 8-ball (i think) on an amateur level.
paddlebizzle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2006   #4
They need to have a tuber category for the Homestake race so poor Zoltan doesn't get shut out again. That dude rocks!
deepstroke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2006   #5
oh yeah
why no amateur class for homestake?
danger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2006   #6
Local, Colorado
Send a message via AIM to paddlebizzle
I think that from a logistical and safety standpoint, there's too much involved in the Homestake race. Lots of safety, lots of hazzards, etc. Kincaid got pinned last year and swam for the first time in 7 years. . . Perhaps the insurance company that underwrites the games won't cover it.

We can always speculate or you can just call UM and ask 'em direct.
paddlebizzle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2006   #7
Let me try and answer a couple of the questions about the Mountain Games.....

- Amateur classes for Homestake...Paddlebizzle pretty much hit the nail on the head. Insurance companies don't like Class V rivers. Also, two years ago, we had an athlete compete that was not a Class V boater. Here's a quick run down...I was collecting bibs from athletes following the event. One of the athletes wanted to keep his bib becaues (and I quote) "I want to keep the bib as a memory of my first run down a Class V river. This was also my first time in a creek boat".
Now, I know the creek was really low two years ago but it was still Class V and if something happended to this guy, who knows if the event would still be taking place. I'd also like to mentioned that he lied on the registration and waiver form asking if he paddled Class V and Homestake prior to the event. I hate to say it, but this one bad apple spoiled the bunch. When it comes to the event, I have to think safety first and also my house and family are also involved in some decision making since our company is an LLC.

- Amateur classes for Dowd Chute - I hear your concern and I wish we had an amateur division. The only reason why we don't is the lack of participation. Over the years, we offered boats and cash as prizes but at the end of the day, it was the same 7 guys signing up for the race. Unfortunately, the event is a business and we we had to make a business decision. If more boaters ask for the division, I'll be happy to open it again. What I can do is wait for some responses and if there are enough, I can open up the registration on line for an anateur division. After that, I look to the boating community to register. If the registration numbers are not looking good, I'll have to pull it again.
Prior to organizing the event, I used to participate in the Chute race and loved it. I hope enough people request it to open and we get enough people to register.

Sorry for the long stories but I hope that answers the questions. If anyone has any comments or concers about the event, please contact me at any time at
Joe Blair
joefblair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2006   #8
Thanks for the info. Has anyone checked the water levels near Vail lately? I haven't had the time to get out, but I'm looking forward to a fun spring...
thrillsekr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2006   #9
Eagle County, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2002
Some time in April you may be able to do some low water runs on the Eagle. With our snowpack, expect things to be crankin' really hard by Teva time.
WhiteLightning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2006   #10
Eagle, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1994
So now that I've signed up for the Homestake race... Who wants to train?

Fort Collins

GAtoCSU is offline   Reply With Quote