Old 06-21-2008   #1
Paddling Since: 1998
2 Commercial Deaths on the ARK

This occured Tuesday and Thursday. Both guides are very close friends of mine, and are solid guides. Each fatality was due to cardiac arrest. The first at 2nd Canyon Door, and the other at the boat chute of the Steam Plant between Stone Bridge and Salida. Thoughts and prayers to all involved!!!!

threepin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2008   #2
, Colorado
If you can get details, we should submit them to American whitewater.

Boofington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2008   #3
Divide, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1981
raft fatalities

This article was in the Mountain Mail.

Nathan Fey, A.W. Colo.Stewardship Director live in Salida.
I bet he has the beta.
jill tip
j.tipton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2008   #4
oh yeah
the mountain mail article makes it sound like a flush drowning and not a cardiac arrest. though the drowning and resulting hypoxia resulted in cardiac arrest i wouldn't refer to this as a cardiac related death as an MI might be.
danger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2008   #5
pnw, Washington
Helio, checks this forum and forwards the info to charlie wallbridge of aw.
"Yesterday I was clever and tried to change the world. Today I am wise and try to change myself." -Rumi
gh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2008   #6
nowhere, Colorado
to be clear

the second death occured below the second playhole in salida not the boat chute on the stone bridge run...and sounded like a flush drowning.
tress33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2008   #7
Buena Vista, Colorado
Paddling Since: 93
To clear things up

What exactly is a flush drowning?

I could see drowning in toilet bowl as a 'flush' drowning, but not sure what you all are referring to.
Snowhere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2008   #8
Eagle, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1994
Originally Posted by Snowhere View Post
What exactly is a flush drowning?

I could see drowning in toilet bowl as a 'flush' drowning, but not sure what you all are referring to.
Fatigued sets in b/c you've been in the water too long. You can't fight it anymore and thus you drown.
GAtoCSU is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2008   #9
The mountain Mail arcticle is interesting in the end...

.....The first incident was May 28 in the same section of river south of the lower playhole when a Fort Collins woman was knocked from her inflatable kayak and became entangled in low tree branches at the river edge.

She was rescued by an RMOC guide who climbed onto the branch and untangled the victim. In that incident, a Mountain Mail staff photographer was on scene and documented the event.

RMOC owner Colin Buskist was contacted by The Mail Thursday, but refused to comment regarding the incident.

The Mountain Mail was on scene Thursday photographing the high water before the raft incident and saw the event unfold. A series of photos documenting the raft flipping were recorded, but will not be used.
(underlines added)

This could be looked at in two ways:

1.) Leave it to a professional photog to see someone in trouble and just stand there and take pictures, or run along side and take pictures while rendering zero aid what-so-ever.

2.) If you see a professional photog, get the hell out of the water.... They are bad luck! And they won't help you! If in the unlikely event that they actually throw you a rope, they will probaby throw you both ends and then, well, I refer you back to item #1.

I really have nothing against Mountain Mail. At least they don't make it front page news everytime a raft flips, such as the Vail news rag.

"So in two seconds, away we went, a sliding down the river, and it did seem so good to be free again and all by ourselves on the big river and nobody to bother us." -Mark Twain (The Adventures of Huckleberry Finn)
Ed Hansen is offline   Reply With Quote