Old 03-05-2008   #11
Paddling Since: 1993
Thanks thumper

Originally Posted by h2obro View Post
Thanks very much. No jinx! Just trying to settle a conversation with a bro.
I got foam all over the livin room and im outfitting all day!
Exactly what I was looking for!!

h2obro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2008   #12
Fort Collins, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1998

What does education often do? It makes a straight-cut ditch of a free, meandering brook. HENRY DAVID THOREAU, Journal
thumper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2008   #13
Lakewood, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1993
Just to show how late the melt started that year, the 4th of July fireworks in Avon, CO were cancelled because it snowed 6 inches. Any way you swing it, its going to be a big season this year, but it could be epically huge depending on what happens for the next three months. Should be really fun.

Electric-Mayhem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2008   #14
The next zone, .
A bit of "high water history" on the Ark.

In 1995' we had a good normal year on snowpack then in the late spring we got a ton of snow.. A cold May and June forced the peak into July.. This is the first time the Ark saw a non-rain event peak in July.

The Ark flooded and peaked one high water year in May.. The year was 1955.. A hot spell for 3 weeks in may brought it all down in mid to late May.

Another other big year to look at was 1944.. This is the year when most of the bridges on the upper Ark washed out as did the old powerplant dam that was where the play park is now.

But 44 could not be out done by 1921.. That spring the Ark came up huge and by all accounts was still running to high to cross with cattle in September..

One of best times to be a boater in the valley would have been 1955 to 1965. This 10 year cycle brought 3 of the highest water years ever recorded on the Ark. Hard winters in BV/Leadville were the norm.

From 1967 - 1985.. One of the worst times to be a boater in the upper Ark.. No high water years in this 20 year span..

Then 1986.. My first high water year and the best in over 20 years.. I was just a kid but I knew that 4500 cfs+ in Browns was for me!!

1993 was also a mid high year..

Then came good old 1995 a "perfect" storm for high water.. A cold spring and a slow melt.. Not the highest the Ark has ever seen but high enough for me..

The 90's could be called one of if not the best decade to be a boater on the Ark! 93', 95, 96, 97, were all great water years and the most in any one single decade.

Now we are at 2008.. It could be said that the 00 has been a pretty poor decade as far as high water. Not as bad as the 70's but not as good as the 80's or 90's.. In 02 we saw the lowest flow readings ever..

Who knows what the summer of 08 will bring.. We will have a good water year but we will need some more help to make it to one of the epic years on record.. To get another 95 or 44' if I were bettin is not going not happen but I think we have a 21' or 86' chillin.. Lets just hope we dont get the same May as 55'..
Jahve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2008   #15
The next zone, .

Today if I get the time I will go over to the parents place and pull out "The Complete History of the Upper Arkansas"... It was printed in 1880 and should have some old school information in it..

Who knows maybe 1868 was a great year on the Ark!

Jahve is offline   Reply With Quote