Old 06-08-2007   #1
at my house, Montana
Paddling Since: 2020
161 of us on line, what are you doing

OK, Friday afternoon, bored at work. What are you doing this weekend?

We are doing a relatively flatwater trip tomorrow, still breaking the puppy into the river. Nothing more than class II, with a goal of Class III next weekend. Supposed to be moderately sunny and mid to high 70's (NW MT), which is much better than the weather we've had lately. although we did get some water in the bank (snow up high) recently, that's the upshot of the cold rainy weather we've had lately. Was 90 this past weekend!

lhowemt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2007   #2
SE, Wyoming
Paddling Since: 1986
dear Laura H. (Saturday eve)

Hope the doggies had a nice float (you too). We ran Northgate Canyon on the North Platte, with the rocks peeking through at 900 cfs. Good maneuvering practice, for sure.

First time I've ever run Narrow Falls in brilliant sunshine— usually it's clouded up with thunder booming on the heights.

A big white pelican ran with us down Tootsie Roll and Stovepipe Rapids.

Then we carried a kayak, my ultralight mini-cat, and a big, fat 16 ft. cat with 24 " tubes and super-ultra-duty frame up the Cuban Slide at Six Mile Gap. (A real incentive to finish off all the beer.)

Happy floating,

Chip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2007   #3
Wheat Ridge, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1995
Hi Laura,

I've been running the Moyie last weekend and this one also and having a b last. That weather last weekend was spectacular and today I was glad I had a drysuit!

I'm doing field work this summer in Libby MT. Will probably go out for a mellow float on the Kootenai once or twice this week. Next weekend I may be on the Alberton Gorge & the one after, I'm hoping to run the MF Flathead with some kayakers from Couer d'Alene that I met last weekend. I'd really like to get out for an overnight on a river somewhere here in Montana or over in Idaho.

Please PM me if you'd like to get together. I'm looking for competent boaters up here to run Class III - IV rivers within about 3 hrs of Libby on the weekends until about mid- or late July.

-Andy Horn

Nothing in the world is more yielding and gentle than water. Yet it has no equal for conquering the resistant and tough. The flexible can overcome the unbending; the soft can overcome the hard. - Lao Tse
Andy H. is offline   Reply With Quote