Mountain Buzz banner

14 day grand trip in a 14 ft boat?

2K views 6 replies 6 participants last post by  yakkeranna 
#1 ·
bad idea or good?

#2 ·
Hi,

I've done 12 days to Diamond in a 16' cat, and I'm an old geezer. So it can be done. And with this summer's presumed continued high flows, it would be very doable with appropriate boating skills.

Question is, what do you want out of the trip? This schedule will mean no layovers, and not many -- if any -- on-shore activities. But if you just want the pure on-river experience, yeah, it's well within limits.

FWIW.

Rich Phillips

#4 ·
2009, I went down the Colo/Grand, in my 14 ft sotar(1st time). Totally awesome. We took 21 days, had a couple of slow days, fighting the wind in the upper canyon. One day we did 32+ miles to catch up to our "schedule". Took 2 layover days, which didn't seem like enough. 14 days seems like all the time is on the water. If it was me doing it again, I'd want more days. I'm also an "old geezer".

#6 ·
Go for it! We did it last July in our 14' NRS. We took 16 days, no layover and had a blast. The eight of us had 2 x 16-footers and 2 x 14 footers. We had levels in the 20K range and our 14 footers had an easier time making our lines than the bigger boats we saw.

The 8 of us worked our asses off doing it in 16 days. A layover above Lava would have been nice! Bring goodies for the motor-rig crews and they will take care of your ice on the lower part of the trip;)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.