Old 09-08-2007   #1
Icebox, Colorado
Paddling Since: 98
13 footer on the upper blue

Is 880 CFS enough to run a 13 foot raft down the upper blue.

grandyoso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2007   #2
breckenridge, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1999

acconnell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2007   #3
Wheat Ridge, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1995
Below Lake Dillon?

A couple of years ago they had the labor Day releases and were letting about that much out if not less. I ran the stretch below Lake Dillon from the campground to the bridge in a friend's paddle boat and it was a fun (but very cold) time. Recommendation - get out at the Hwy 9 bridge - the flatwater below that is a lousy rock dodging float.

Nothing in the world is more yielding and gentle than water. Yet it has no equal for conquering the resistant and tough. The flexible can overcome the unbending; the soft can overcome the hard. - Lao Tse
Andy H. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2007   #4
Boulder, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1995
the 880 reading is bleow grren mountain res or the lower blue. The upper, below dillon has only 225.
I'ts been a while, but I think you'd be fine on the lower blue as long as you don't mind te big hill to get down to the river.

(seven two 0)-298-2242
Dave Frank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2007   #5
I ran 15.5' oar rig down the upper blue at 600 cfs and it was no problem, and fun. 880cfs is great. As stated the upper is running much lower than 880 though.
Salto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2007   #6
Icebox, Colorado
Paddling Since: 98
13 footer down the blue

Thanks everyone.....
I think i am just going take the blow up doll down the river tommorow....
grandyoso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2007   #7
Denver, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2002
related question - how late for the Blue?

Along those same lines, how late in the season does the lower Blue run? Could we tenatively plan a September 22nd trip with a 14ft and/or duckies, given what Kara's been posting about the flows? Thanks!
megeggleg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2007   #8
Silverthorne, Colorado
Paddling Since: 95
yeah, I did it this past weekend put in is a real treat but after that it was worth it.
MissyH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2007   #9
Westminster, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2007
Are there any class IIIs on the blue at all? Especially this time of year? On the lower (below Green Mtn.) besides the sharp rocks pointing up that are called wiers, is there anything I would need to worry about on that section?

What about between green mtn. and dillon? Any major obstacles that a smaller raft would need to worry about?

Seems like the Blue is perfect for small rafts, mellow and not many rapids at all, but I'd like to hear from people that have actually been down it. The main thing I'm worried about is large drops over rocks (more than 12-24 inch drops I'd say) that you can't get around and keeper hydraulics, anything like those on these sections?

I've been wanting to hit the blue below green mtn. in my raft, it's only an 8ft raft so some of the shallows shouldn't be as bad for me as it is for you 15 footers, plus it's easy for me to cheat as it's a kickboat

Personally, I'll most likely wait until next summer to catch it at higher flows, from a fishing standpoint, what would you guys/gals say are optimal, low, and high flows for floating those two sections of the blue?

Thanks for any help and info on this, I'm a newbie.
FishnPhil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2007   #10
saratoga, Wyoming
Paddling Since: 1980
a kickboat's no advantage on the blue

I took my 7 footer down it this year. I did a mystry move in one of the wiers? You know what that is? My whole cat got sucked under and popped out a few yard beyond the hole. If you don't know what you're doing it could be a long cold ride. I suggest getting out at the first bridge and forgetting the bottom 10 miles. A long push for micro's. Plus ranch hands will follow you down the river to see if you do put your feet down on private property.

Don't even try to fish out of the thing. The water is kind of fast and pushy, hence all the yakers, you can wade fish the first 4 miles. Use the micro-cat for what it is... a craft to get you from one place to the next. If you punctured a tube on the lower 10 you'd get a load of shit from the ranchers and I doubt they'd help. It would be just another excuse for them to shut the section down. So have a repair kit. Also an extra oar. It's easy to jam micro blades behind or under rocks and snap them.

The first time I floated this river was in my micro and a guy told me I was crazy and that there were life or death situations. I'm still here. The water is VERY COLD and you will be wet all day... waders or no waders. BLM recommends not floating below 600. People float it to 400 and a little lower but it's not easy to get over the check dams... or wiers as you call them. It's not illegal to step on the dams because they are man-made but again you will be pissing the ranch folks off and they will harrass you.

I suggest trying pumphouse to radium or something like if you want to fish. The browns should be in pre-spawn stage. The blue would be something for the scenery and thrill. As for the difficulty ratings for the blue. I'd say it's a class IV put in and the top 4 miles might go easy III. There are some holes that could toss your micro though if you don't know what you're doing. There are several check dams that are 3 foot drops that you can not avoid.

rmpeddie is offline   Reply With Quote