Old 10-14-2010   #1
GWS, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1992
127 Days?

So, anyone watch the 127 Days movie or follow his story over the years?

What do your buzzards think of Aaron's ordeal?

I think it’s silly that his poor trip planning combined with his self-induced epic have turned into a speaking circuit and Hollywood movie. In many ways I marvel at the fact that our society rewards his stupidity. I'm more inclined to sit back and chuckle at the knucklehead who cut his arm off.

To be clear, I think it take a lot to cut your arm off and I'm not sure I would have done it. But then again, I would have told some people exactly where I was going and I'd like to think that I would never have rolled a boulder on myself in the first place.

I know I am a crusty asshole but for some reason it irritates me that this dummy is benefiting from his stupidity.

Mut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2010   #2
Bozeman, Montana
Paddling Since: 1999
I'm sure he didn't mean to roll the boulder onto his ARM. In other words you are mad at people like yourself. Sounds like you are pretty hip man. But a little hypocritical!

caspermike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2010   #3
N/A, North Carolina
Paddling Since: 2010
I don't know if he'd have a movie if he didn't cut his arm off. When the civilized world back home hears this dude cut his own arm off with a dull knife... you bet they're going to make a movie!
This mustache has a weight limit!
NathanH. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2010   #4
Kayenta, Arizona
Paddling Since: 2006
127 Days

I, like most of the rest of us remember when this all happened back a few years ago. At the time, I recall calling him a fool and an idiot for not taking the proper steps to inform others of his plans and intentions. Over the past 5-7 years I suppose I forgot all about him and his situation, actions like most of you.

Recently I came upon the book he wrote about this whole event and also his life in general. It is called, logically enough, "Between a Rock and a Hard Place." I most certainly enjoyed the read, and I would encourage all of you who are more interested in this to check it out.

One thing that struck me as interesting was his overall ability level. This is not a "weekend warrior" who ventured into the backcountry and lost his way in the process. Aaron, at least by my determination was and is a hard-core experienced backcountry enthusiast who logged crazy hours on mountain sides, along rivers, in the canyons and on the side of rock faces.

He was in the midst of soloing all Colorado 14'ers during the winter when this happened. He actually was filling time in the canyonlands when one of his other expeditions fell through at the last minute which is why he did not tell others of his intentions...he did not clearly know them himself.

I am in no way making excuses for this guy, as obviously if he HAD told others of his location and intent he would have most certainly been rescued long before he deemed it necessary to cut off his own arm to save his life. I am only saying that after reading his book I feel more inclined to think he simply had an accident and in turn was forced to deal with the consequences.

One interesting thing I took away from the reading was that he in no way feels sorry for himself or his situation. It is by no means a "woah is me type of thing." To quote the BLM Ranger who flew in the helicpter whith him on the way to the hospital, "he was in the wrong place at the wrong time."

Now, on to the movie and endorsement deals and speaking tours...
I think these accurately reflect the overall explotative nature of our capitalistic economy and society we live in. He is taking advantage of the publicity, fame and enjoying the fortune from the outcome. Honestly, I think most of us would do the same.

I have not seen the movie yet, but I will eventually. Seeing the trailers and clips on you-tube it looks to me like any Hollywood job. Pretty girls, rock-n-roll soundtracks and polished scenery. That being said, I don't know how accurately it follows his own book and the internal dialog he had with himself over those fateful days inside Blue-John Canyon.

In conclusion, I would say as a humanist I am glad he is alive, and if his story can inspire others to just tell people where they are going it is a good thing. As for the movie, see it or don't but take it with a grain of salt and consider the source. As I read the book, I frequently tried to empathize with him and put myself into his shoes...I would encourage you all to do the same. And for God's sake, tell your friends/family where you are going when you solo in the wilderness!!!

bucket52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2010   #5
doesn't need a fake name
Fort Collins, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1996
Wrong forum. Off topic.
leif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2010   #6
Colorado Springs Paddling Since: 1983
Originally Posted by Mut View Post
I know I am a crusty asshole but for some reason it irritates me that this dummy is benefiting from his stupidity.
Let's see how does that go...? "Good judgement comes from experience. Usually experience gained from bad judgement". May we all live to benefit from our stupidity!!
Mike Hartley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2010   #7
Carbondale, Colorado
Read his book - he's a tool. The attitude that he conveyed in the book is what got him in trouble - why he had to saw his arm off. Do whatever you like, it's your life. However, there are examples in the book where his stupidity endangered others, not just himself. Like the kid in "into the wild" - natural selection at work, nothing noble or heroic going on there, just more stupidity.
watermonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2010   #8
Bozeman, Montana
Paddling Since: 1999
Water monkey you are a Dick. What do you have to say to kayakers that drown? Natural selection? Same thing exploration doesn't come without sacrifice... not that you know anything of exploration....mentally or physically.. Chris wouldve been home free, but the mind is wicked in the face of hunger.. mistakes are made everyday and our suicide is our own..nobody will live free of that guilt just maybe deal with it differently...we face our own natural selection as a those brave enough to live may you live forever
caspermike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2010   #9
Boulder, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2003
It took the guy 127 days before he cut off his arm???

Do some reflection. You've seriously never put yourself in a position that could have resulted in something similar had you fallen victim to unfortunate circumstance? You call your mom and tell her everywhere you go?

Regardless of whether he's a tool or just avid adventurer, stupid or smart, there are almost always compelling stories in exploring the nature of human foible and the paradox of human fragility and strength. Danny Boyle is a talented and thoughtful director and the movie's probably worth a look on that credential alone. I think it's called 127 milliseconds though.
KSC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2010   #10
Kayenta, Arizona
Paddling Since: 2006

I beleive the Title is 127 HOURS, the total time he spent in the situation from the time he left his truck till whe he got to the ER and went into surgery...I beleive he did the calculations right before they knocked him out with meds.

bucket52 is offline   Reply With Quote