Old 08-03-2005   #1
11 Mile Video?

There used to be a sweet video of Sic Nick running the bottom drop of 11 mile on this forum. Is that still around?

JJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2005   #2
Durango, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1999
I don't think I have that one, but I have some other video clips of 11-mile from a few years back. Send me an email if you want what I have. I would like to see the one you were mentioning.

rivermanryan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2005   #3
Steamboat, Colorado
Hey JJ, Troy Hartman just emailed me the video again. Check it here:

That's sweet
frenchy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2005   #4
dropzone, Colorado
nice line

ACC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2005   #5
What's the flow in that vid and when might it reach that level again? And what's the rest of that run like? It looks awesome!
deepstroke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2005   #6
Moab, Utah
the flow in the video is probably in the 400 to 600 range. it was the summer of 02 (i think) and denver water was draining both 11 mile and antero res above the run. my personal belief is that flows will not reach that level again unless epic snow occurs in the same year as both upstream res's being full. i would think 300 or so is possible on an average year with the res's full.

i ran it a few times in 2002, but i was not really qualified at the time. it is book ended by a V at top, and a V at the bottom (not even considered), and lots of IV in between. i pinned two times i ran it in two different spots, with rchristianson (above) and the crew saving my arse after a scary swim out of (and under) my boat. i was too stupid at the time to comprehend the situation as i do now.

as for comparisons, i would say think rock garden on foxton turned up about one and a half notches (at those higher flows), and maybe not quite as tight. four rapids come to mind as memorable to me. the first is a ledge drop with a chunderfest hole and a tight entrance under a rock overhang to take the left sneak on the hole - my paddle hit the overhang, spinning me around and going over the ledge backwards. second is a tunnel rapid (tunnel for the access road), where i pinned at the very top. third has no real markings, but ends with a huge rock on river left, and tight slot on river right, where you s-turn between the 2 of them (except for me, i pinned in the slot swimming out under my boat) - there was apparently wood in this slot under the water surface, but Ed Hansen cut it out according to his MB post later that year. fourth was our group's take out rapid, a pretty big short drop with lots of vertical, right above one mile of flat water leading to the lower V. there are others too, but those are the four i specifically recall. it is an awesome run, and worth the drive from anywhere in the state when flows are good. boc has the following description on their website:

oh the memories. later.
pbowman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2005   #7
Laramie, Wyoming
Paddling Since: 1992
I'm pretty sure the flow was 690 that day. It was a very memorable day for me. A friend and I met Nick scouting that heinous drop at the bottom of 11 Mile, we ran shuttle and put in above the 1st rapid together. I don't think Nick even got his head wet in that 1st drop, but the two of us both ate shit and swam. In fact my swim was the worst I've ever experienced. I truly thought I was going to drown. Nick helped me get my boat off of a rock and was off downstream with Troy, ditching the sketchy paddlers.
badkins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2005   #8
Steamboat, Colorado
According to Troy the level was 625cfs.

Here's another video he just emailed from SSV from earlier this year:

frenchy is offline   Reply With Quote