Old 06-22-2007   #11
Here's another of the bottom class V from that same year. I remember this day and watched the madman in the playboat. Too bad there wasn't more footage.

RealitySheriff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2007   #12
Jill tip
Divide, Colorado
Paddling Since: '81
11 Mile Cnyn runs right by an old RR bed/ the Road.
You can scout everything w/a little walking.
I think the hole you speak of is an obvious ledge drop.
'02 had some wood. Keep your eyes peeled. I ran it at 450 & 650 cfs. (between the 5's & skipped the ledge drop). That made it all easy. Lots of fun. Mtn Buzz shows it at 290 now, so it would be more technical now.
Sounds like Justin S. has all the beta. Have a blast.
J. Tip

Jill tip
Jill Tipton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2007   #13
I shot all that video of the lower class V. The first is of Nick Wigston running it above 500cfs. Very burly!!! The next clip I posted was of the log extraction. Someone ferried across to lasso (took a few tries) - then, thanks to Pete Gallup's truck, they were able to pull the log to shore. Pete is running second in the yellow/red boat. I do not know the first and third paddler that I got in the video - the level that day was just under 400.

I'm pretty sure Nick may have run the bottom drop at its peak - it was around 530cfs when we put on that day. Nick also styled the top class V drop that day too.

I will try and post some better quality video clips from those two days.

thartman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2007   #14
gunnison, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1998
Last nights 11 Mile TR:

260 feels low there to me, I regretted taking playboat after the extreme shallowness of the stream prohibited practically any play ever (insane potential though, wow). I now respect and envy anyone who paddles this geology on a regular basis, the only other place I have yet to see such daunting class III (3.3+/.4) is in the Black of the Gunny. Lots of pin-ops, bad spots to roll, seives. What looked from the road like the greatest rock-splat EVER turned out to be a two story boulder with a paddler-sized crack RIGHT in the middle of it.

Safety alert:

There is a big river wide log around a corner after a set of little drops, its hard to miss from the road, mostly in the middle and closer to the top of the run than the bottom. It is pretty easy to get out for but once you can see the log from upstream, you have one eddy to catch on river left in the next 10 feet or so. Id slow my roll a bit once I got in the vicinity of that log.

What if this thing comes up more!? WOO! .. It won't, but its nice to dream.
Summary: It reminds me of the best parts of the Taylor, but steeper and more risky.

&d is offline   Reply With Quote