Old 05-25-2010   #11
Bozeman, Montana
Paddling Since: 1999
heres whats inside till the bridge so be ready

heres the reason why 1000 may not be enough

we climbed river level on the portage through these giant boulders and looks like a lot of water can travel through this seive. ugly looking upstream in both photos

caspermike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2010   #12
Owner: Class 5 Carvings
The Fort, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2000
Hey Would love to come up next week for some laps, Fort Collins boater living in Lander right now, need to get on the water. Let me know when you guys will be running next week after the holiday. Summer!!

P the K
Paul the Kayaker is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2010   #13
B.F.E., Wyoming

So we just got off the middle section of the canyon. It is an absolute blast and JUICY!

Its big water, Bring your creek boat and your game.
Its a solid class 5 run with 3 big drops, a class IV-, a class IV, and a must run V(+).

P to the K Come on over man. The canyon only takes about an hour and a half to run and is super lappable. Theres good camping all over up in there. Gimme a ring and I'll get you some more info. I will be for sure on it sunday monday. After that I will most likely go in there after work and be on it the days im off.

Anybody wanting to get on this run please hit me up for beta. There are a bunch of sieves and in general its a pretty big run.

307 259 33 47
freexbiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2010   #14
The Bitterroot, Montana
I would love to see some photos of the inner canyon luke. I don't know if that is possible at those flows, but it would be sweet. good work. I have stared down at that stuff at 75cfs while I was climbing and am trying to imagine it with 11 times more water... RAD.
montuckyhuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2010   #15
B.F.E., Wyoming
We didn't end up taking any pictures of the big drop. dave took some pictures of the 2nd drop but I haven't seen those yet. I will definatly take some pics next time I'm in there and post em up.
Old 06-10-2010   #16
B.F.E., Wyoming
Bringing this back up... I'm sure not very many people are interested in coming up now that the gnar is running down south but heres a little mini update for those interested.

The canyon is flowing at 2300 CFS. The two rapids above the big drop seem to have washed out a bit but they are still big rapids. Here are some pictures I took from the Rim today after a quick trip out there.

The second drop. Looks to be a big boof at the top then a couple of large waves in the run out. Then some super swirly water all the way down to this....

And then a fun picture of the release valves out of the dam. Its about a 40 foot rooster tail bouncing off the other side of the canyon.

Just another update for the N. Platte... The Play park is up to 4500 CFS, a super fun level that every rapid has a super large wave or hole to surf and play around in.
Miracle Mile is flowing 7500 CFS(MONSTER flows I have never heard of this type of flow through here). I'm not sure what this looks like but I plan on going out this weekend and taking a look at it.

I think we are planning on having a little Rodeo this summer in July (its in the works still) as well. It will have good flows and for once we will have a rodeo where the competitors can actually throw bigger moves.

Hit me up if you're coming up I'm always looking for someone to boat with.

Luke Sutton
307 2 59 33 47