View Poll Results: Do you boat in E-coli bacteria-laced water ?!
frequently 4 26.67%
sometimes 4 26.67%
on on the f%$** Front Range 1 6.67%
wilderness boater: (I prefer getting giardia from decaying animals) 2 13.33%
never: my pink Draggorassi cant touch poop 4 26.67%
Voters: 15. You may not vote on this poll

Old 09-28-2005   #1
in a van down by the river, California
Paddling Since: 1974
100,000 gallons of shit in Clear Creek

Fecal Coliform (Escherichia coli) bacteria in abundance.
Bacterial gastroenteritis and hepatitis A are just some of the neat things that can occur once you get a mouthfull of human shit in the water you use or kayak in.

9news confirmed tonight that the Georgetown shit station, uh.. water treatment facility, that is.. dumped over 100,000 gallons of "Partially treated" human excrement into Clear Creek yesterday.
Stay OUT of Clear Creek. ** Human Health Hazard in effect. **

Warning! Mr Hankey is headed your way.

This despicable DUMPING OF 100,000 GALLONS OF SHIT into Clear Creek occurred Tuesday at 2:30pm. Do you think anyone will hang for this offense?

Golden Colorado: INCOMING !!

story at:,00.html

kayaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2005   #2
Indian Hills, Colorado
100,000 gallons?!

Georgetown has a population around 1000 - 1500, the sewer plant was down for about 6 hours, 2:30 - 8:30, granted there's people flushin' at the gas station, but 100,000 gallons of sewage seems pretty high for a 6 hour sewage lapse in a podunk town.

If 25% of that was flushage, and toilets average average 5 gallons per flush, thats 5000 warm, wet flushed headed toward Golden.

Even worse, Clear Creek is at about 60 some cfs, at that level it would take almost four straight hours to flow 100k gals of poo through idaho springs, past kermits and down to Coors.

DanOrion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2005   #3
Arvada, 80003
Paddling Since: 2002
Wow dudes!!! Golden is almost up to a ricious cartwheeling level. I have heard that you can loop bigger, in poop water. The poop gives you pop. Plus i bet you don't even need a dry top in that water. It sounds epic! Lets all go hit it up right now.
TheKid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2005   #4
Thought-criminal, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2000
"Clear" Creek...holy shit. There must be a god...and he has a great sense of irony.
I hope in the future Americans are thought of as a warlike, vicious people, because I bet a lot of high schools would pick "Americans" as their mascot. -Jack Handy
BastrdSonOfElvis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2005   #5
Eagle County, Colorado
The best part is if you get scared while boating, you can just shit in your boat, and no one will know.
WhiteLightning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2005   #6
Lakewood, Colorasta
Paddling Since: 1997
100,000 gallons of very dillute partially treated Waste doesn't mean you'll actually see shit floating in the river. I'm sure if it is a health hazard the river will be closed for as long as neccessary. Don't blow your wad.
Phillips is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2005   #7
Moab, Utah
this is admittedly a bad thing, but here are some numbers to keep in mind:

-if the 100,000 gallons of wastewater was dumped in only 1 hour, that would equate to an increase in flow of approximately 4 cfs (100000 gal/hr = 1667 gal/min = 3.7 cubic ft/sec). if this dumping occurred over a six hour period, the flow increase would be < 1 cfs. The 90 cfs "surge" cited by someone is nearly impossible, and would be the result of 14.5 MILLION gallons being dumped in six hours.

- i don't know what kind of treatment process that G-town uses, but the most efficient treatment plants (like denver) will hold waste for a week or more while treating. if the plant was down for 6 hours, the waste being dumped had already undergone a nearly complete treatment cycle.

- there will be no floaters in the dumped waste. the first step in wastewater treatment is to run the waste stream through a grinder that chops any solids up to a maximum size around 1/8-1/4 inch to improve treatment.

just stay away from the golden play park for about a week, and the natural flora and fauna will have most everything cleaned up. the effects of this type of spill are much less severe than the Coors spill of completely untreated waste, or the spill into Cherry Creek Res of completely untreated sewage a couple years ago. i am not saying this is not a bad thing, just trying to clarify some of the numbers to accurately assess the severity of the event.
pbowman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2005   #8
Eagle County, Colorado
I heard it was partially treated waste.

WhiteLightning is offline   Reply With Quote