Mountain Buzz banner

#1 on your list.

8K views 46 replies 31 participants last post by  lotsawater 
#1 ·
Every year about now I think of the #1 new section of whitewater in Colrado that I hope to run.

For a couple of years now my "#1" has been the inner gorge of the Crystal. This year I hope to get her done!

So what is is your #1 new section that you would like to run this year?

#16 ·
bakers box, crystal gorge, poudre narrows(middle/lower), cheesman, lots of gore, a little more black canyon, upper A prolly once depending on how the flows are.. nevermind the original question, im gettin stoked just thinking about all the possibilities

#17 ·
I said it last year and failed... miserably, but I have yet to do one single run in the entire crystal/Roaring fork drainage!

Blows my mind that I have been paddling for 8 years in Colorado and never once. NF of the Crystal is where I have my eyes set first, then the gorge. Probably going to avoid the inner though.

Also, the embudo is HIGH on the list and will be done early on here.

Great topic!!!

Stoked.

Craw

#18 ·
Brazos and Crystal Gorge

Life is overly busy for me, but if I were to get some saddle time in on the Embudo, Pueblo, and UTB soon, then I have the possible connection for getting on the Brazos this year. And if I could get a lap or two on OBJ then I'd like to maybe notch the Crystal Gorge. Ran Mill Falls at really high water once, but the Gorge was obviously not conceivable then.

Harvey, I'm pretty certain you could count on a Black trip with us once or twice this summer if you'd like to join Horton, Shane Smith and I. July is a great time, hot and high, but I want to experience it low once too. I think it was 1500 when I've done it before, which was a great level. I definitely think a two or three day trip is the Dr's orders for my brain (though the body whines WFO).

I'm beginning to think that introducing kids to team sports is a bad idea. Being soccer dad and having weekend interuptions is testing mey tolerance. Life is work all day and then the kid job all night and weekends. A thought for any parents to ponder: start your kids on skis, kayaks, and bikes at three and never let them pursue school sports. The family that plays together, stays together. My kids had the best time lapping the Headwall, North Face, and racing down International last Sunday. Best of all, I got my exercise too. Hoping the kids take to the river and trails that way eventually.

#23 ·
I want Crazy Woman bad. Not in Colorado but I would give my left testicle to run Middle Kings. I also long for some more time in the tight box - of the Clarks Fork, Bakers, Rockwood, Black, and/or Brazos. For those of you who want the Brazos my only advice is to plan a reconnaissance day (at least afternoon) for the shuttle -it is intense. Don't forget about the miles of pounding class V whitewater though either. So ready.

#25 ·
boatin

Riverwriter
I don't mean to point out the error in your statement but I thought I should due to the sensitive area it deals with.

Not in Colorado but I would give my left testicle to run Middle Kings. I also long for some more time in the tight box - of the Clarks Fork, Bakers, Rockwood, Black, and/or Brazos. quote]

If one were to give ones left testicle it would limit ones time spent in tight boxes.
Just a thought!
When are we going boatin?
-P-

#27 ·
Steven, what's left? Who else has or is is near all 158?

To Steven:

It is awesome that you've gotten 116 out of 158 runs. I'm curious which are left for you? Regrettably, even though I've been boating for 27 years, but got distracted with careers and family for most of it, I haven't gotten but a little more than a third of the 158. Mostly I have high quanities of the classic IVs and Vs in central and southwest Colorado and northern New Mexico, plus several long FD expeditions in Mexico (it's probably over 7000 river miles total, though). I think it is awesome that you seem to be able to attain all 158. Way Cool! Power to you! It seems a worthy goal. Tell us what you have left and if any runs may need run specific veterans to assist in helping get you there. I can imagine that some of your remaining goals may be down to the gnarliest of the gnar. Toltec comes to mind. Definitely not mainstream and questionable if worth it. Those I know that have conquered it don't offer any inspriration for rushing there. They don't plan to ever return to it as far as I've heard, but you never know who might step up for you there if needed or any others. If anyone can help you attain the goal of all 158 then I hope you get 'er done.

I'm also curious how many others are close to achieving or have already achieved all 158? Let's see some posts. Cheers! -- kv

#28 ·
Also the Big South.
Pete, lets plan on doing a trip up there. I know Shipley (if his foot is better) and are I are planning on a trip in early July.

Harvey, I'm pretty certain you could count on a Black trip with us once or twice this summer if you'd like to join Horton, Shane Smith and I. July is a great time, hot and high, but I want to experience it low once too. I think it was 1500 when I've done it before, which was a great level. I definitely think a two or three day trip is the Dr's orders for my brain (though the body whines WFO).

I'm beginning to think that introducing kids to team sports is a bad idea. Being soccer dad and having weekend interruptions is testing mey tolerance. Life is work all day and then the kid job all night and weekends. A thought for any parents to ponder: start your kids on skis, kayaks, and bikes at three and never let them pursue school sports. The family that plays together, stays together. My kids had the best time lapping the Headwall, North Face, and racing down International last Sunday. Best of all, I got my exercise too. Hoping the kids take to the river and trails that way eventually.
Ken, definitely. Lets do that. I want to do it in two days though and paddle out the Gorge.

You know I don't want to derail this thread but the latter point you make is one that my wife and I have been debating heavily lately. I totally agree with your assessment. I am going to print this out and have her read it. My son is starting soccer this spring and some of the kids teams as young as 7 play in weekend tournaments. My feeling is I will not drive my son anywhere outside of Salida to play soccer. How many 30 year olds and over do you know that play soccer? How many over 18 year olds? Skiing, boating, riding are life long sports. I am not going to be hating it at soccer tournaments for the next 15 years. rant over...please continue...

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.