Old 03-28-2007   #31
Golden, Colorado
Originally Posted by ACC View Post
but, I would also like: cross creek wood-free down to maloit park,
ACC, What are the chances of that happening? I've never looked at the part below the standard run. Is it stuffed full or would it be possible to clean it out? I image that could be a sweet run if it went all the way down to the road and you didn't have to climb back out.

blutzski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2007   #32
dropzone, Colorado
blutzski - well I think that it is possible but not probable. unfortunately I have not been around the holy cross area in the early fall when it would be a good time to clean it for the past three years because I am in school in VA at that time. some friends and members of the chunderposse informed me that it look very good, meybe better than the current 1/2 mile section, downstream, but there there is a substantial wood problem. we actually had to clean some wood on the short stretch last summer just to get a run in, so I don't know. one of the main problems is that the granite bedrock that makes the run tits also makes access to wood in the creek very difficult. with some ropes and harness, etc., maybe we can get in there this summer and pull some stuff out because it would be a super-classic if it was three miles of steeps with an easy shuttle rather than a 1/2 mile with a steep hike back out. also, this will be laborious because this is a wilderness area, so work must be done with hand tools. I am motivated to get it clean though.

on another note somewhat relevant to this thread, I finally checked off the creek that has long been at the top of my east coast list--the north fork of the blackwater--this last weekend and I can't wait to get back in there.

ACC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2007   #33
Seattle, Washington
Paddling Since: 1999
Send a message via AIM to JCKeck1
Valle. Anyone who hasn't hit the embudo should put that up there too. I love the fact that one of the new guide book authors hasn't run the poudre gnarrows! Priceless - how can we trust any of your beta?
JCKeck1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2007   #34
Yeah but the other author has run it so many times that he could do it in his sleep, and probably has.
Rando is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2007   #35
Oh and I want Clarks Fork, Black Canyon, Vallecito and lotsawater's mom!
Rando is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2007   #36
surrounded by mountains, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1981
and so it is, for us aging family men

Harvey and Steven:

It looks like April and May could see spells of storms and cold yet stall the run-off. That is good. I got myself in this soccer trap and will certainly be glad when the season ends. Glad you're wise early on Mike, and this lesson offers to you Steven. Sure it may seem selfish of us. Sure we could consider that kids develop their on interests and we shouldn't be forcing them to be something. However ... who is the parent? Who has age and wisdom? Who is knowledgable that society is pretty errant in it's values? Most kids will diddle with school sports only because their parents don't want to spend time with them and team sports are sort of an inherant baby-sitter mechanism. Most kids will become fat, lazy, coach potatoes soon after high school. Most adults achieve nothing more than an ambition to shop, idolizing materialistic possessions, and then hope medical science can treat their failing health as a measure of having enjoyed increasing longevity of life these days. What crap! Instead of possessions and expecting medical science to be the goal, why not expect a life long healthy lifestyle and experiencing life to be our pursuit? Like Mike said, there are no 80 year olds staying active with soccer. However, I see them skiing, rafting, and riding their bikes still! Okay, so what about succeeding in a career as a soccer, football, baseball, tennis, golf, etc. player? What about earning educations on free-ride athletic scholarships? Sure I don't see any doing it in kayaking, biking, or skiing. Hey this debate can go on and on. Bottom line: my daughters, as most will, are likely to grow up interested in some employment, as well as raising a family. Enjoying my children and teaching them family values is a greater desire for me than catering to any pursuit for their hopeful notarity in short-lived sports fame. Whew! Next.

Steven, congrats on being blessed with your daughters. I know they require you to contemplate your time and risk taking. Respectfully you may never attain the goal of all 158 now. You might never have anyway. No worries mate. I would root for you if you could, though. Instead, maybe I'll make that goal yet. Fortunately, I've lasted this long. I too have lost my old paddling buds: Todd Hebblewhite, Tom Nofzinger, and Paul Zerklebach. There was something truly unique about those guys and I was blessed with many incredible adventures with them that live strong in my desire for life today. I have had my share of fortunate survivals. Thankfully, I am more respectful as a result. Still, the will to explore and experience life drives on. Though beyond my physical prime because of age, I think and hope I can still achieve anything worthy in life. Though it sounds foolish, I have been one in the past, and will most likely continue, to show up for the adventure even if solo. My first "no portage" decent of Bailey was solo. I've lapped the UTB (where I have traditionally begun most seasons) for a weekend solo. I'm often solo on Pine Creek and the Numbers. I've started day one of the season running the last mile of the Pueblo (admittingly fortunate to live to tell of it) or the Embudo. All in all, I guess my point is "Don't stop reaching, bro." You and many others on the Buzz sound like great men. Harvey's a great example of a great man and father, too. I just know too many that gave up life as they aged. I just pray that everyone enjoys an awesomely great year. The winter was excellent and I'm looking forward to fun on the rivers. Cheers to all the fathers that are raising families, being loving to their wives, and sharing the adventures of experiencing HIS creation. Let's boat!
Ken Vanatta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2007   #37
Granby Spillway.
farp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2007   #38
Father of illegitimate San Juan sasquatch children, Climax. CO
-Panonia Spillway (just kidding)
-Headwaters to res valle
-Black Boxes San Raph
-Maybe I will finally stop driving through and run the V section of the Uncompaghre or the south fork of the Rio Grande
floaty22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2007   #39
Edge o' the Dust Bowl, Oklahoma
Paddling Since: 1982
Good thread - great collection of runs! Props to Rdnek for kicking it off.
ActionJackson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2007   #40
185 lb. waste of space, Keeping Glenwood Springs real
Paddling Since: 1864
Big South and hopefully a couple creeks up in Alberta, New Zealand

yourrealdad is offline   Reply With Quote