Old 03-27-2007   #21
Durango, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1998
Brazos, Baby!

Warren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2007   #22
Denver, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1993
West Fork of Clear Creek needs to go, just cuz it's ridiculous that I haven't hit that up yet.

But for sheer magnitude, it's gotta be The Black!

Roy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2007   #23
Mad Scientist/Creeker
I want Crazy Woman bad. Not in Colorado but I would give my left testicle to run Middle Kings. I also long for some more time in the tight box - of the Clarks Fork, Bakers, Rockwood, Black, and/or Brazos. For those of you who want the Brazos my only advice is to plan a reconnaissance day (at least afternoon) for the shuttle -it is intense. Don't forget about the miles of pounding class V whitewater though either. So ready.
RiverWrangler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2007   #24
Golden, Colorado
Cheeseman, Bakers Box
blutzski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2007   #25
Teacher, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2000

I don't mean to point out the error in your statement but I thought I should due to the sensitive area it deals with.

[quote=RiverWrangler;62239] Not in Colorado but I would give my left testicle to run Middle Kings. I also long for some more time in the tight box - of the Clarks Fork, Bakers, Rockwood, Black, and/or Brazos. quote]

If one were to give ones left testicle it would limit ones time spent in tight boxes.
Just a thought!
When are we going boatin?
boof512 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2007   #26
dropzone, Colorado
Valle es numero uno

but, I would also like: cross creek wood-free down to maloit park, upper SSV...
edit - how could I forget, but...NSV
ACC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2007   #27
surrounded by mountains, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1981
Steven, what's left? Who else has or is is near all 158?

To Steven:

It is awesome that you've gotten 116 out of 158 runs. I'm curious which are left for you? Regrettably, even though I've been boating for 27 years, but got distracted with careers and family for most of it, I haven't gotten but a little more than a third of the 158. Mostly I have high quanities of the classic IVs and Vs in central and southwest Colorado and northern New Mexico, plus several long FD expeditions in Mexico (it's probably over 7000 river miles total, though). I think it is awesome that you seem to be able to attain all 158. Way Cool! Power to you! It seems a worthy goal. Tell us what you have left and if any runs may need run specific veterans to assist in helping get you there. I can imagine that some of your remaining goals may be down to the gnarliest of the gnar. Toltec comes to mind. Definitely not mainstream and questionable if worth it. Those I know that have conquered it don't offer any inspriration for rushing there. They don't plan to ever return to it as far as I've heard, but you never know who might step up for you there if needed or any others. If anyone can help you attain the goal of all 158 then I hope you get 'er done.

I'm also curious how many others are close to achieving or have already achieved all 158? Let's see some posts. Cheers! -- kv
Ken Vanatta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2007   #28
Salida, Colorado
Also the Big South.
Pete, lets plan on doing a trip up there. I know Shipley (if his foot is better) and are I are planning on a trip in early July.

Harvey, I'm pretty certain you could count on a Black trip with us once or twice this summer if you'd like to join Horton, Shane Smith and I. July is a great time, hot and high, but I want to experience it low once too. I think it was 1500 when I've done it before, which was a great level. I definitely think a two or three day trip is the Dr's orders for my brain (though the body whines WFO).

I'm beginning to think that introducing kids to team sports is a bad idea. Being soccer dad and having weekend interruptions is testing mey tolerance. Life is work all day and then the kid job all night and weekends. A thought for any parents to ponder: start your kids on skis, kayaks, and bikes at three and never let them pursue school sports. The family that plays together, stays together. My kids had the best time lapping the Headwall, North Face, and racing down International last Sunday. Best of all, I got my exercise too. Hoping the kids take to the river and trails that way eventually.
Ken, definitely. Lets do that. I want to do it in two days though and paddle out the Gorge.

You know I don't want to derail this thread but the latter point you make is one that my wife and I have been debating heavily lately. I totally agree with your assessment. I am going to print this out and have her read it. My son is starting soccer this spring and some of the kids teams as young as 7 play in weekend tournaments. My feeling is I will not drive my son anywhere outside of Salida to play soccer. How many 30 year olds and over do you know that play soccer? How many over 18 year olds? Skiing, boating, riding are life long sports. I am not going to be hating it at soccer tournaments for the next 15 years. rant over...please continue...
Mike Harvey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2007   #29
placerville, Colorado
Ken-I started boating in colorado in 1995. At the time, I was single with a flexible job and had years of just being on the road with friends in CO, CA, and ID boating. I was always interested in stuff I had never done, as the thrill of boating for me peaks when I go around an unknown corner. Occasionally, friends have given me $hit because I brought them along on short trips to do things I had never done, even the class 3 stuff. [fraser canyon comes to mind] but I have always loved the class 3, as well as the 5. In those early years, I was lucky enough to have a partner who pushed me relentlessly, [Russell kelly. RIP]and I did a lot of the class 5 stuff I probably would not have done on my own. I got married in 2003 and now have twin girls who are 2, so the boating has slowed down quite a bit. I started doing solo missions as time was scarce and I was particular in what I wanted to run. There are definately runs that I will probably never attempt [brazos, toltec, upper s. fk. white, n. fk. fish, upper south boulder, canyon crk., piney, rock creek,] as I have stepped back on the gnar a bit. I would still be open to those if the right weather, flow, crew, timing, etc. presented itself. I still have more than a few to get in the rio grande and yampa drainages, and plan to get up to some of the yampa stuff and encampment/northgate this june. hopefully next year I can get the upper box, red, lower box, pueblo, and santa cruz. other than that there are scattered runs in each drainage that I have yet to do. I still have never seen big sur! I am psyched for the new book to come out as there are lots of new runs that are not in CRC2, some I know about and have done, but I am most excited about the ones I have not heard of. If you are ever in the telluride area, look me up.
steven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2007   #30
Summit, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1996
Send a message via AIM to COUNT
steven, that's awesome. It's definately been one of my dreams to think that I might one day be able to do that. I look through the book and see a ton of runs I can check off this season but I also see those super gnar-gnar runs I don't know if I'll ever even be considering. But then at the end of each season when I see how much I've been able to step it up and run stuff I thought was several years into the future for me, I think...just maybe.... I'm about a third through (and putting some effort into the few runs that are in CRC I but not II, also) and have been posting 30-40 new runs a year recently but most of them end up being ones not in the book, so I guess we'll just have to see. It's been the super flow dependent runs that have been holding me up lately (Leon, Buzzard, Sweetwater, Grape, Big Sur, etc.). Best of luck. You're close, I say go for it.

"The world would be a better place if everyone kayaked."-Brad Ludden (Valhalla)
"You only get one chance to run a drop blind."-DD
COUNT is offline   Reply With Quote