Old 06-07-2005   #11
Have paddled a Quest
Fort Collins, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1984
I have paddled a 0 degree offset for the past 15 years and I love it- here are my observations:

1) As you surmise, wind resistance is not a big deal for most of your paddling. The one time it was a pain was on a couple of long windy days on the Grand.

2) Paddle strokes (particularly duffek) and rolls are symetrical on both sides- no extra twisting of the wrist to set up for an off side roll or duffek stroke. This is the reason I have a 0 degree.

3) I'm not a physiologist, but the 0 degree offset seems to be a perfectly natural wrist position for me. I have had no problems with Carpal Tunnel or tendonitis. I don't pull during my paddle stroke- I punch with the opposite hand and the primary power from my stroke comes from torso rotation.

4) The 0 degree was awkward at first, when I switched from a 45. However after using it for a season I got used to it, and after the second season I preffered the 0 degree over a fethered paddle. I have had occasion since then to use a fethered paddle (ie- someone else's breakdown, or someone wanted to switch and try mine), and have found that I can switch back after a few strokes. Much easier for me than switching between Tele & Alpine ski equipment.

5) They are hard to find, and I have special ordered every one I have owned. I have ordered from Lightning and Werner and both companies sent me quality paddles in a reasonable time (I did order off-season).

6) Since both blades have the same orientation, every once in a while during a roll I experience some resistance while setting up because both blades are catching current. It doesn't happen often, and a quick adjustment / twist of the paddle typically does the trick.

Hope this helps-

Marco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2005   #12
Hey Jay H. I've got a o offset paddle i found on westwater 5 years or so ago,never used it you can haveit.The catch it's one of those blue and yellow symmetrical blade Carlisles and its about 270 cm.
Jay F.

cayo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2005   #13
Littleton, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1998

270?! Isn't that what the vikings used? :P

just kidding--I do appreciate the offer.

And thanks again for all the input--next paycheck, I think I'm just gonna get a 15 or 12 degree minimal offset, so I'll still have some offset, and I don't have to hassle with special ordering. I'm thinking werner player right now
Jay H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2008   #14
Gunnison, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2004
Store that Lists 0 Degree Werner Paddles

I have been considering a 0 degree and found that

NOC :: Nantahala Outdoor Center Online Store

Sells several of them. I'm still saving to buy a new paddle and don't know what I'll do in the end but thought others interested in 0 degree might want to know about this.

nosrednakram is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2008   #15
Lyons, Colorado
Send a message via AIM to erdvm1
Don't waste your time
Ask Livingston what his thoughts are of watching me use a 0 degree
The most f'ed up form ever
great for play boating ONLY
Go Dawgs!!!
Happiness is a way of travel not a destination
erdvm1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2008   #16
Frisco, Colorado
I've tried 0, 10 and 12, and paddled a 30 for years. 0 seem's like it's too much, but I really think that 12 is the perfect balance. look at your right wrist on a high left brace with a 30 compared to a 10-12 and it is obvious why you want less feather.
i do, and allways will use a 10 degree feather- special order or whatever.
my 2c...
adm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2008   #17
The Road, Colorado
Paddling Since: '07
Send a message via Yahoo to Badazws6
I've been using a 15 degree for the last year and love it. I'm looking for just enough offset so I don't have to rotate the paddle for the off side stroke in the next one. I'm thinking that is in the 8 or 10 degree. I'm not mutch of a play boater. Those of you that don't like them for down river, would you tell me why you don't like it?
Life: Live it!
Badazws6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2008   #18
pnw, Washington
I have a 12 degree werner and it seems just right.
"Yesterday I was clever and tried to change the world. Today I am wise and try to change myself." -Rumi
gh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2008   #19
I kayak DH.
Greater tri cities metro area, Colorado
I paddle a 0 & will never go back to anything else. Any argument you make for the offset, it seems to me, is turned to BS as soon as you use the other blade. I think most folks are just used to offset so that's why they stick with it. I have two broken wrists & any other paddle hurts them, so it seems that the 0 keeps my wrists in the most neutral position. My waterstick 8 deg was also very comfy.

My wife had a breakdown that we used to figure out what she wanted, we drilled a few extra holes in the shaft to offer different offset possibilities & she chose zero without any prodding or previous opinions.

btw, I mostly creek or run IV-V rivers. I playboat occasionally but the 0 hasn't magically made me a good playboater...YET.
Discover Denver, stay there!
Waterwindpowderrock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2008   #20
To add some fuel to the fire

Ok not to stir things up to much but in college I did a paper on offsets and how the anatomy of the human in relation to the forward stroke, sweep, bow draw, stern sweep and cartwheels. I had read a study that was done in the late 70's about this in relation to flat water racing and was interested. It was a British study and they found 60 degree to be the best.
Now before going any further what ever offset YOU feel comfortable with is what you should paddle with.
Ok if you look at offsets that are less than 60, some folks with 45 degree and watch people paddle look closely at there left wrist and elbow in relation to there right. Kent Ford shows this very well in his film Breakthrough. The less the off set the more folks tend to NOT drop there wrist and elbow under the shaft as they paddle ie, release there left had. This causes the wrist to be above the shaft and the elbow to be high. Not good for power, joint stablilty and stroke mechanics. So this in turn causes all kinds of wrist and elbow and shoulder problems.
Mechanics in relation to offset is very important. No matter what boat you paddle most, you still do more forward propelling strokes than any other. With a 60 degree offset there is NO wrist rotation you simply lift the blade up and you are in the correct anatomical position to paddle and the opposing blade is in the correct line for the stroke. For play boating I have never found myself "catching" my blades. If you are, it may be more of length of paddle issue. 45 degree offsets are still good for how the body works and easier to purchase!!!! I can jump form a 45 to a 60 real easily. As far as being symmetrical side to side as you rotate and want to keep you shoulder in a good protective position you still will need to release you left hand (on a right hand control paddle) to keep in a good mechanical position.
Again not to say you cannot have good mechanics with a 0, 12, 15, 30, 45, or even a old 90 degree paddle. Look at your paddling and make what ever offset you have work for you!!!!
It sucks for me to buy a paddle because I have to special order one!!!!! As everyone says try before you buy.

Happy paddling
Cheers JB

keel is offline   Reply With Quote